Sunday, August 13, 2006

Cupcake or Muffin in Disguise? Whatever it is, it's good.

Cupcake Cafe
522 9th Ave



Jane: So you come here a lot, right, because you work in the neighborhood?
Justin: Well, you know this isn't the original Cupcake Cafe. The original one used to be down the street from my work, and this new one's two blocks up, so I don't come here as much.
Jane: Would you say that the cupcakes have changed?
Justin: No.
Jane: How would you describe the cupcakes here, because, to me this is no ordinary cupcake.
Justin: Well, it's not like one of those Magnolia types, topped with sugary frosting.
Jane: Light, spongy...
Justin: Yeah, it's definitely not the kind of cake that falls apart when you take a bite.
Jane: Well, let's talk about the cake first and then the frosting. To be honest, I think the cake, while delicious, is actually more like a muffin.
Justin: I disagree.
Jane: Don't you think it has the density of a muffin?
Justin: Think of a regular muffin. Muffins have a certain set of ingredients...
Jane: Well, it's not a very sweet cupcake, which I think is a point in its favor.
Justin: Right. It doesn't have to be sweet to be a cupcake.
Jane: But don't you think of cupcakes as sweeter and lighter than muffins? Do you want to redefine what a cupcake is?
Justin: No, I don't. I think this definitely qualifies as cake.
Jane: So, it's more about expanding the definition.
Justin:No, listen. This is a walnut cupcake, and so naturally it's a little heartier. You should try the chocolate and yellow cupcakes before making a final judgment.
Jane: No problem. Well, visually anyway, there's no doubt this beautiful thing is a cupcake. Let's talk about the frosting. This frosting is so buttery-- I wonder how much butter they use.
Justin: I'd say it's 90 percent butter.
Jane: Remarkably buttery...
Justin: A lot of people actually complain about that.
Jane: Really? Well, it is a little surprising just how buttery it is.
Justin: Yeah, the cupcakes are all refridgerated right up 'til they're sold, so the flower decorations don't melt.
Jane: So, would you say this is your perfect cupcake?
Justin: I don't know. Maybe the perfect cupcake should always remain elusive.
Jane: Either that, or it's any one that happens to be sitting in front of you.

Stay posted. In our next installment, Justin and Jane tackle the desserts at another NYC bakery.

7 comments:

victor said...

Many have pondered the ontological differences between a muffin and a cupcake, some even going so far in diminishing the differences as to propose that a muffin is nothing more than "a naked cupcake".

As for me, I will continue to espouse that if you can throw it with some vehemenency at a would-be attacker and expect to do some degree of bodily harm -- possibly even to the point where the attacker is stunned long enough for you to get away -- and not merely invoke a countenance of frosted bemusement, then that which you had hurled was indeed a muffin.

Steph said...

Aha! I see someone took 2 perfect Winnie the Pooh bites before photographing.

Though I enjoy reading others' thoughts, I personally can not contemplate muffins or cupcakes. It will only make me pout angrily.

Oh, sugar and flour--get thee behind me!

However, I did have a really lovely grilled rainbow trout for dinner. It had a sauce of clarified butter, citrus, and sage. Mmm.

Anna said...

You guys crack me up. I have heard about this Cupcake place. We'll have to put it on the agenda next time we're in town.

victor said...

Hey, Steph! You don't have to regard muffins and cupcakes with ignominy; just grab your favorite halibut meatloaf recipe and a trusty-yet-expendible muffin pan, whip up some salmon mousse as frosting, top with some chive sprinkles and you've got yourself a party going.

Jane said...

Victor, well, shoot. I thought I was charting new waters on this debate! What is it with muffins and cupcakes that they capture our imaginations so? Remember that Seinfeld episode where Elaine reveals the secret to a winning muffin?

And speaking of essence-type questions, how's this for a dessert cookbook title: Being and Muffiness.
Don't answer.

steph, i think i am responsible for those Pooh bites. Hmm. that just sounds wrong.

Anna, you guys always have a standing invite! It hasn't felt like a complete NYC summer without your delightful presences.

victor said...

Being and Muffiness is an awesome title. Being of a more analytical bent, though, I'd have to call my cookbook "Critique of Pure Muffin".

However, I'll never get around to writing it as I'm too busy watching Amy Winfrey's clever little Muffin Films.

Robyn said...

Wow, I never took that in-depth of a look at Cupcake Cafe's cupcake. ;) And it is more cake and muffin-y, I think. Like cornbread-ish cake...wait, that's kinda muffiny. OH MY GOD, I JUST DON'T KNOW.