Friday, August 04, 2006

100 Degrees of Perspiration

WNYC has set up a Flickr photo pool where New Yorkers can post images of the last three days of heat. Here's the slide show. A few of the photos show long lines of coffee lovers waiting for the complimentary iced coffees that Starbucks was handing out yesterday. I left school with a few students to check out the scene at our local S-bucks, but the line was snaking around the block, so we took one look and went back inside. An iced coffee is nice, and a free iced coffee is extra nice, but you only really need one when you've intentionally endured an hour of punishing sunlight and the possibility of heat stroke, waiting for it.

I guess long lines of sweaty people suit Starbucks, since they like to see their customers (myself usually included) falling all over the counter in anticipation; and in the end, it works for the customers, since everybody knows that cold drinks just taste better when you're almost dead. And I can totally understand. Every winter I deliberately try to get frostbite in a few of my toes; it just makes my hot cocoa taste that much better.

3 comments:

April said...

Wow! Free Starbucks...tempting...but definitely not worth baking in the sun to enjoy it! Now if it was free soy chai...

victor said...

Though I'm not usually in favor of photos of New Yorkers sweating, anything is better than the LAPD's Flickr stream. I haven't been a big Starbucks fan either, ever since one of their paper cups tried to make me gay.

Fortunately our air-conditioning unit has held up which has kept things from generally becoming too damn muggy and specifically the new baby from cooking (and I don't mean in the good sense where the baby wears a chef's hat and apron, either).

Anna said...

I miss NYC!