Saturday, March 17, 2007

A dark, brainy little thought

I recently heard a physicist discuss the role of unpredictability in science and life. He remarked that someone should do an MRI study in order to determine how the feeling of uncertainty is registered on the brain. His guess is that it is there and that it probably looks a lot like pain.

I've never thought of it this way before, but it makes perfect sense. Uncertainty is a kind a pain.

The trick now is to muse on this rather beautiful, melancholy observation, and not let your mind wander to the fact that it also happens to sound like fab material for a rock ballad.

Pain/Brain...

At least thankfully there isn't much out there that rhymes with "uncertainty."

And just as I type that, I've thought of one: "hurtin' me"

Indeed.

No comments: